The CWCF Worker Co-op Academy is an online training program that coaches start-up groups through the process of developing and launching their worker co-op enterprises in a supportive cohort, with the help of experienced co-op developers.
This initiative is an English-language adaptation of Réseau COOP’s Parcours COOP worker co-op training and development program, available online in French for organizations based in Quebec.
Upcoming Program Intakes
Next cohort launches early to mid-September 2023
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
Program Content & Structure
The Worker Co-op Academy program is delivered by Russ Christianson.
- Enterprise concept, vision, mission, and value proposition
- Co-operative Entrepreneurship
- Collective Management
The program is comprised of 14 workshops, scheduled approximately every 2 weeks over a period of 11 months (with breaks for holiday periods).
Each group also receives 20 hours of one-on-one coaching and draft document review by a professional co-op developer.
Participating individuals should expect to commit approximately 5-7 hours to the program per week:
- 2.5 hours per workshop session
- reviewing supporting documents before each workshop
- preparing guiding documents for their worker co-op enterprise: shared vision, market research, business plan, incorporation documents, etc.
Applications & Program Fees
Who Can Apply
Groups of entrepreneurs (minimum 3 members) who are looking to form either a worker co-op (enterprises owned by employees or contractors) or a multi-stakeholder co-op with substantial worker control.
Groups must have:
- an established working relationship
- a business concept that is ready for the business planning stage
Although the Academy is open to all, CWCF encourages applications by groups led by equity-deserving populations including BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour), youth, people with disabilities, women, and non-binary people.
$5,000 +G/HST per group
CWCF is offering bursaries for up to $4,000 +G/HST of this amount.
Final cost for most groups is $1,000 +G/HST.